Sunday, July 31, 2005

Bonus: Dwarf Warrior pic taken with completely inappropriate camera


It's been a while since I last painted a model. Something like twelve years actually. It's encouraging though, that I never think "how good could I have been if I had kept it up all this time" with things like that.

Anyway, I got some of my old dwarf army back. I had given it to Jimmy, the friend we started playing Warhammer together- he had the greenskins, I had the dwarfs. Then I lost interest and gave him the dwarfs, so that I wouldn't lose them too... In time, he passed them on to his brother, who also lost interest in them, pretty soon, but they kept them around stashed somewhere. They actually didn't throw them away even after the whole family moved! I 've been thinking of using Jimmy as a sort of semi-permanent stash for all the comics and books I want to keep but don't know what to do with once I leave Athens. Nothing ever gets thrown away from Jimmy's place if it's got an illustrated cover or has something to do with colors. His very father is a Terry Pratchett fan and an amateur 3D artist. Jimmy has an awesome talent with paints and pencils. And he never lents out his books and comics. He enshrines them. So I know I can trust him.

Truth be told, I didn't get everything back. For example, I got an Organ Gun crew, but not the gun and one Cannon (or Flame Cannon) crewman, but no cannon. And I remember painting at least one dwarf warrior's tunic two colors, but he wasn't in the box Jimmy's brother gave me. But, I got some sixty-five models, enought to start a decent infantry force. There's Slayers up the wazoo (whatever that is anyway) and, in fact, two Slayer Command Groups (you 're only allowed to field a single Slayer regiment in an army, unless it's a Slayer only army, so the two musicians and two standard bearers are sort of redundant). With the help of some fresh reinforcments, I have enough Warriors for two regiments. There's Bugman's Rangers minus a musician, a Command Group of Miners, two Runesmiths, two Lords (one of them twice), a Champion, almost a full regiment of Hammerers... All I need is some war machines... a Gyrocopter or two, 'cause sometimes I enjoy mobility. And I 'd like to get some Ironbreakers, in due time, I think 'll really enjoy painting those (I love painting metal textures). For now, though, all I have is barely three fully painted Warriors and a couple not yet fully assembled others. At least the old models are lead, so I don't have to assemble them (painting is my fun... assembling, I could go without).

Later on, I 'd like to get an army of Tyrranids and maybe a small one of Space Marines. I think I 'll go get a Dreadnought as soon as I have some spare money. I love painting large surfaces.

Now, because I know you 'll be wondering: "What the hell is she talking about?", here's a link to Game's Workshops' UK site. Here's the Dwarfs section. Have a snoop around, you might find it interesting (this is not, I repeat, is not, product placement and I 'm not, repeat not, receiving a comission).

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

Used to love painting Warhammer figures.. again something I've not done for years...

My main army was dwarves.. had the Bugmans Rangers set and stuff like that, but enjoyed painting Orcs and Space Marines too....

27/8/05 11:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home