Shark tales
I got my drums exams tomorrow. Wish me to break both legs. And an arm.
Ok, so you might be wondering, where the hell have I been?
Ok, so you might be wondering, where the hell have I been?
I 've been in an underwater cave, in the sea, with the dolphin people. They don't mind it that I 'm touched by the sharks- because they respect life, in all its' forms. And we all love Yemanja, her beautiful days and her horrifying ways. And we dream, under the sea, in a blue-green haze where there's no need to breathe, or run... where you can swim for days, without making any sense at all and never missing a thing.
I 've been dreaming.
I 've been dreaming of sharks.
29 Jan. -Shark dream!! I'm with my mother at the beach, in her car. We speed away and reach a patch of forest, then we 're behind a massive rock formation, on the other side of which is yet another beach. It's a little secluded one, with no swimmers. The other beach was full of people, this one seems deserted.
29 Jan. -Shark dream!! I'm with my mother at the beach, in her car. We speed away and reach a patch of forest, then we 're behind a massive rock formation, on the other side of which is yet another beach. It's a little secluded one, with no swimmers. The other beach was full of people, this one seems deserted.
I get off the car. There's two entrances to the beach, one on each side of the rocks. I walk to the far one and look around the rock. There's a boat almost on shore and they 've caught a huge shark! I swear the beast was bigger than the boat. It was a blue one, the kind whose nose looks like an old pointy shoe. The one they call a "Lamia (LAH-miya) in Greek. Lamia, as in killer spirit, ghost, or harpy...
I look away for a moment, because there's another shark lurking just under the surface of the water, near my end of the beach, where the land extends an arm inside the sea and forms one end of a bay. I want to get some notebooks of mine that somehow ended up right near the edge of the water, but I 'm afraid the shark might jump on me, even when I 'm not in the water. In other dreams I had, it's happenned to me and I seem to remember it in this one.
There's big round pebbles under my feet. I walk along the beach and I look at the fishing boat that's caught the shark. They 've got it suspended a few meters above the water, but they 're struggling with it and it's not easy to put down for good. As I look, it catches the boats' dog and cuts it in two, then it grabs one part (the hind legs) with its' flipper, like a cartoon shark and shows it to the rest (the head) which it's holding in its' teeth. It's one eye that I can see, big as a plate, is glowing with cruelty. I realise this is not going too well for the boat and its' crew and the sharks' about to get loose, so I run for it, out of the beach and into my mothers' car. We take off.
A moment later, I feel like a coward (though I don't think I felt guilty about leaving the boats' crew without help... ). I tell her to stop and turn around and I get off the car again. I tell my mother I have to go and hunt the shark. She understands and doesn't ask any questions, she's like, yeah, go. It's all because the shark made me fear it and that humiliated me. Pride!
I go back to the beach and I 'm very careful not to go near the water, because that shark is really big and it can just snatch me like easy, if I go too near the shore. I look around the rocks again, but there's no sign of the boat, or the shark. I climb on the rock cliff and stare at my notebooks, still just at the waters' edge, but I don't dare go get them yet (they 're bait!). I realise I know the name for this place- obviously enough, it's called "shark bay", duh. I think of the name in English, then try to translate it in Greek, but come up with the equivalent of "Cape Shark" because it sounds better in greek (although it's a bay, not a cape).
I go back around the rock, which now looks like a wall, with a lot of enforced steel gates, with little windows where you can peer out of, but they're all battered, as if something (guess what) smashed into them with great force. Then the dream gets hazy. I meet some old man, while I 'm looking for something to use as a weapon, to kill the shark with. I think he was holding an old broom, which I was thinking might do the job, if I got nothing better. Then I was with some people who lived there and they were telling me a story about the place and someone who also lived there- actually, the old guy with the broom...
Now, when I woke up from that dream, I decided I 'd go shark hunting. I 'd hunt that particular shark, Ahab-style, with grim determination, 'till I found it and, well... well, I guess I 'll have to kill it, when I do... we 'll see. Anyway, the first thing I need is a weapon and I 've set my mind on that. It's starting to work, because the next coupla days I had two dreams where I was looking around trying to find something to use as a weapon- for reasons totally unrelated to the shark, but, then, that's how those things start...
And then, a couple nights ago, I was swimming at sea again, and I was learning to control my breath. At first I was diving down and holding it, then after a while I started forgetting I had to breathe and I didn't need to any more. Until I 'd realise what I was doing, gasp for breath and surface again. It went on like that a few times.
And yesterday I was checking out another weapon. It looked like a light and easy to wield kind of halberd. If you remember Seung Mina, from Soul Edge, she has one of those. I was looking it this way and that and then I wrote something on it, some numbers which were, it appears, it's stats... like in an RPG, you know... Seems I 'm really going for it.
It's funny, you know, 'cause this last week I 've read two posts, in two different blogs, about sharks. I know you 'll think I 'm just full of new age bullshit, but this really tends to happen a lot when I got my mind set on something like that, really. I 'm not saying 'cause I think it's "synchronicity", or bullshit like that... It's more like I look for things that have to do with my intentions, when I 'm like this, and they turn up, 'cause the world's full of them all the time. So I use them to, like, focus on my plan and all. Or to trace my own thoughts on the brow of the world.
I 'm also having kinda second thoughts about what I 'm going to do with the shark when I find it.
I think I 'd really rather make friends with it, when I find it again. But, the way I 've set out about it... and the way it looked utterly pissed off, on that boat... I think that's gonna be like, really, really hard.
I think I 'd really rather make friends with it, when I find it again. But, the way I 've set out about it... and the way it looked utterly pissed off, on that boat... I think that's gonna be like, really, really hard.
Besides, I sincerely don't think this particular lesson, about friendship and love and all that is the one I 'm supposed to find in this specific dream. No, honestly... this is just not the case... I go looking for the wrong lesson, I find nothing. And then, second thoughts is no way to focus your intent. So I guess I 'll have to kill the damn bastard and eat its' heart or make a necklace out of its' teeth, or get a scar or whatever the hell.
But we 'll see. I think I got a month still to go, before I meet that huge guy again. We 'll see then. It might even eat me. Which it probably will if I 'm in to minds about what I 'm doing down there, waiting for it with a haleberd in my hands.
Well, until one gets eaten ... one dreams on, I guess...
3 Comments:
>A shark doesn't make friends. It eats, it swims. It's a purpose, not a fish.
Precisely. What have I been doing thinking I should make buddie-buddies with it? I 've been goofing around. What have I been doing? Goofing around.
I know.
I just finished my drums exam. I 'll post about it later. It went OK... it was just to go to the next level, so nothing too big.
The shark dreams, I 've had them for about fifteen years. I *need* a conclusion.
So, no goofing around.
Ah, I just rememberd. I was reading The Silmarilion again and there's this huge wolf, Carcharoth which means "Red Maw" (he's the one that gobles' Berens' hand with the Silmaril that ends on Earendils' brow on the heavens).
Carcharoth- as in, Carcharyas (same pronounciation as in Tolkiens'), which, in Greek means, "shark". One more.
Heh, no, that's Greek too. At least the -odon part. It means "tooth" in Greek. Odous, odontos (OH-dhouss, OH-dhon-toss), is the ancient form. I don't know about carcharyas though, that might well be latin, originally. Latin and ancient Greek have many similar roots and grammar and stuff.
I used to be so good in Latin, in high school, I could practically read and write modern Italian (which is much more like it's ancient form than modern Greek is... it's because modern Greek's got a lot of Turkish in it whereas, Italian stayed sort of pure.) Nowadays, I don't know my cums from my cuiuses, though.
Post a Comment
<< Home